Sunday, 14 August 2011

Homework Updates

Am extremely sorry for the late of updates.

National Day Homework

  • 2 CA2 Mathematics Practice Papers (GRPS and WVPS)
  • Composition (based on ideas we've shared in class.)
Thursday 11th August
  • Word Problems from Maths Workbook pages 63-66
  • Spelling
Weekend Homework, Friday 12th August
  • Review 5 of the Maths Workbook, a summary of the work they've done in Term 3.
  • Spelling
Plan for Week 8
  • Main Class
    • Teach Time (a short and straightforward topic)
    • Revise common mistakes and misunderstandings
    • Go through Holiday Homework (Maths CA papers)
    • Attempt to do 2 sets of Maths Papers in a stipulated time; with and without peer & teacher help. This is to aid students and to give them a sense of self achievement
    • Complete Filing of worksheets so that Files can be brought back over the weekend for revision
    • Give class English CA2 Papers to allow more practice.
    • Give class Synthesis & Transformation worksheets
  • Focus Group
    • To focus on each child and allow assistance to pupils who require the extra assistance and explanation
    • To provide children with more help on basic fundamentals of what they should know in preparation for the examinations
  • Remedial Group
    • Similar to Focus Group but more commonly mistakes and understandings will be tackled and more focus to more weaker children
Things Tested In The CA Exam
  • English
    • Both Textbook and Workbook Units 7 - 9 will be tested. Both vocabulary and grammar items will be from these units.
    • Synthesis and Transformation until the conjunction "unless"
    • Skill of annotation in Comprehension (refer to post for annotation tips: http://forcreativehomework.blogspot.com/2011/06/30-june-2011.html)
  • Maths
    • Decimals (I) and Decimals (II) and Time
    • More focus into multiplication and division of Decimals i.e. Decimals (II)
    • Word Problems and MODEL DRAWING 
      • Drawing the model and understanding the model are both equally important.
Will update the information on Science soon (as I don't teach the class Science).

Note to Parents:

I've talked to the class about this and they should have understood and at the very least remember it. 

I've told them that this coming exam not only proves my ability as a teacher who can teach effectively but also whether they have paid attention. 

To be rather honest, there are several cases in the class where a student is relatively active and mischievous but after a stern warning and reminder, these students are paying more attention and are more serious in their work and have been doing well. One of them, whom I shall not name, even got 3rd in class for English Multiple Choice Questions. Some may consider this a small feat but to me it is a great achievement for someone who used to fail his/her English. 

Another student has showed tremendous progress in his Mathematics and I have, at several times, appointed him to teach other weaker students. For parents who worry about this method, let me explain how I do this.

1) First, if the child comes to me, I will explain it step by step and allow the child to attempt the question. 
2) Secondly, the child will show me the answer and if the child gets it wrong, I will explain again. But if the child gets it right, I will give another 2 questions.
3) Thirdly, having that child in mind, if another child comes to me for help on the same question, I will get the previous child to teach that child in front of me and teach him how to teach i.e. the same way i taught him.
4) Then, if another child comes to me, I will repeat the process.

This way, a child gets to practice his/her understanding through explaining to a friend. I believe once a child understands his knowledge and the skills needed, he is actually a better teacher than I am because they speak the same 'language'. Of course, it is also good if the child doesn't understand. That way we can work together to learn together.

Of course, this goes back to whether he/she pays attention in class. The method above is what I do with my Monday and Wednesday Focus Groups which have a maximum capacity of about 10-12. Having more children than that makes it very difficult for me to help the children on a more personal level. 

So I hope, since that the exams are coming, that you insist on your child to lessen their television time and leisure time, but not to ban them altogether. 

As educators, both you and I have a great responsibility to impart to them knowledge, skills, values and attitudes that are crucial for them to face the future. I strongly believe in the importance of education, both in and out of school. 

I do hope that there are parents who are reading this blog so that they are updated, at least, with their child's homework. 

And please advise your child to pay attention in class and do their homework. I personally do not like to call parents regarding homework because I feel that parents already have many things on their minds. Furthermore, I always remind the children that the education is for them. Not for their parents. So they refuse to study and learn, they are risking their own futures. This is why us parents and teachers sometimes get angry at them.

Alright. I shall stop here. :P I tend to go on and on. 

Wait till I get my own children.

:P Have a good week ahead! 

No comments:

Post a Comment